joi, 16 iulie 2020

COMTEC 2000 @ SCP & KAPPA

COMTEC 2000 trying to catch a big fish


It was August 25, 1993, 2 weeks after I was freed from SCP.
The problem of this offer was the TFC 500 cable. At SCP I used CommScope 540 cable. The coring tools were different. The outer aluminium layer of 500 was thicker than of 540.
The most interesting was the 4 outputs tap TRE-4, floor distribution in condominiums.
COMTEC ordered containers of TRE-4 from China at a very good price and they sold cheaper than the type SCP bought from RMS USA (GBTR type). GBTR was sophisticated, TRE was very simple.
Other very interesting product from COMTEC was the RG6 cable with messenger.
COMTEC had a good price. They imported standard 1000 ft reels but also non standard reels resulted from TFC, for a very good price.
SCP was hard to catch because I already established the connection via Emilian Taranu from St. Louis and he sent us all we need. First major transport from US was in January 1993 and we had about 10 Km of 540 cable and material for 2000 subscribers, as Ovidiu asked me to order.
I remember I filled a list for SCP without having as much as signatures possible. Probably they felt I know exactly what they have to do, so they trusted me 100%.
Later SCP tried to catch fishes in the CATV business in Romania, but it didn't work.
Even COMTEC didn't catch SCP, they catch KAPPA when I was technical manager, end of August, official from September 1, 1993 and until my forced exit, November 15, 1993.
In that short period at KAPPA I ordered at COMTEC the same list from SCP for 2000 subscribers.
This was the FIRST CATV major order for COMTEC, the enter on the Romanian CATV business.
After I was chased away from KAPPA almost with 2 fists of Ovidiu (!!!) COMTEC hired me as technical manager, 1993-1997.
On the above document you see COMTEC 2000's first attempt to enter on the Romanian CATV market. Document sent to SCP having the same petty annoying signatures of Eugen Purcaru and Grigore Antonescu, sent to Cristian Mihailescu, their new star in CATV network design, finally all SEX-TONS of SCP CATV...
In fact Purcaru did nothing, Antonescu did nothing and Mihailescu... who knows.
One year later, the second head-end site network was closed and the installers' tools were sold.
The rhythm of development of the second network was too slow and the competitor in that area suffocated SCP. The second head-end and the feeble network were sold.
Too many 'illuminated' heads, too many managers doing nothing.

At COMTEC 2000 I was detached at MCH, another CATV project in Crangasi.
After this I gave assistance to many customers and CATV start-ups.
Finally COMTEC switched to electrical distribution equipment.
First 100 distribution boxes, the famous 'blocks' of measurement and protection for individual subscribers at RENEL were manufactured by hand on a 1 sqm wood table in a small room of the apartment where COMTEC was working. The workforce was me and the husband of the secretary, both from Medias. I did the documentation and presented the 'block' (box) at the first bid at RENEL.
We didn't win but we sold tens of thousands having the doc that these fulfill the standards.


Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu